[BusyBox] how to get a shell prompt under 2.6 kernel?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 26 18:41:28 UTC 2005

  i know this has been discussed before (certainly under the 2.4
kernel), but i'm trying to get a shell prompt on the console port on
my BB-equipped 8xx board.

  until now, using a 2.4 kernel, i've had the following line in my
/etc/inittab:

	tts/0::respawn:-/bin/sh

however, under a 2.6.11.5 kernel that i just built, i found out that i
have to pass "console=ttyCPM0,9600" as part of the kernel command
line.  what's the standard way to reconfigure the shell or whatever
else to give me my shell prompt at the console port?

  everything else seems to work fine, boot-time scripts all run but
no "#" prompt.

  thanks.

rday