[BusyBox] OT: mailing list setup

steve steve at itsage.com
Thu Mar 17 02:13:16 UTC 2005

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> On the other hand, if the reply to the mailing list was default, then
> trying to send a message just to the original  poster  would  NOT  be
> possible  with either "Reply" nor "Reply-all" - in both cases I would
> have to manually edit the mailing list address(es).

A mailing list is a public forum - I don't WANT people replying to me
privately.  If I did - I'd give them my email address.  Private
mail - meaning I can never find them when I go back looking for them.
Also, having my email address available in the list headers makes it
trivial for spammers to get it - just sign up for the list, and harvest
the addresses of posters.

> This *does* make a difference, and is definitely worse.
Just my opinion - but the 'rules' about mailing list setup basically are
outdated.  They really seemed to hinge on the fact that people
embarassed themselves a few times.  These days, I think its more common
for people to expect group communications to respond to the entire group.

Steve