[BusyBox] CONFIG_SYSLOGD and init/init.c

Jose Miguel Goncalves jose.goncalves at inov.pt
Mon Mar 7 15:39:32 UTC 2005

Robin Gilks wrote:
> Greetings
>
> Like many people (I'm sure!) I'd like to use a more capable syslog
> daemon. To this end I turn off CONFIG_SYSLOGD in busybox and build and
> install my own external one.
>
> Can anyone explain the cruft in init.c that seems to depend on the
> internal busybox syslogd such that behaviour is changed as a result of
> turn off the internal syslogging? I'm getting all sorts of junk being
> output to the console as a result ;-((

I'm one of that guys.
I've workaround this by simply adding a #define CONFIG_SYSLOGD on the
beggining of init.c (after the #include "busybox.h") to force init to use
syslog calls even when it is not defined in busybox's configuration.
This, of course, will only work fine if you have a working external syslog daemon.

José Gonçalves