[BusyBox] LSB compliant sysvinit applet.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Mar 7 14:16:11 UTC 2005

On Sunday 06 March 2005 11:39 pm, David Seikel wrote:

> Keeping in mind the issues I raised earlier with increasing the paths that
> busybox supports, I would like either support for applets in other
> directories (/etc/init.d for instance), or to have the default inittab use
> /sbin/rcS instead of /etc/init.d/rcS.  Then I can remove one small script
> from my boot floppy, freeing up a little bit of space.  Every byte counts
> on a boot floppy.

Applets in other directories?  (Are you talking the standalone shell code?)

One thing I vaguely remember I did was make the default inittab condititional
on not compiling in inittab file reading support.  (If you don't compile it
in, you get a default.  If you DO compile it in, you need to supply one.
Nobody should lose anything here, although it would need a warning for people
redoing their systems...)

As for hard wiring in a different inittab...  Have to think about the issues
when I have more time...

> The most obvious thing I wish for is support for runlevels.  This is as
> simple as a default inittab that calls "/sbin/rc x" where x is the run
> level.  And all the usual inittab runlevel support.  On the other hand, I
> quite like the method I currently use to store the actual current runlevel
> elsewhere with a default runlevel.  I could support both B-).

The runlevel switching code is roughly the same logic as the full inittab
re-reading code.  The tricky bit we don't currently do is shutting down the
old processes we spawned.  (And what you really want is to preserve the
processes that are still there at the same runlevel.  Don't kill and respawn
_everything_ just what needs it.)  The logic to do that's not too hard, once
you've thought through the problem.  Might want to make it a config option,
though...