[BusyBox] no sys-v-init

Larry Doolittle ldoolitt at recycle.lbl.gov
Thu Jun 23 09:23:57 UTC 2005

Guys -

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 09:26:50AM +0200, Nico Schottelius wrote:
> As far as I can see, busybox uses sysvinit init system.

SysV init usually refers to the scripts run by a stupid init,
like busybox's.

> What do you think about replacing it with a more modern system
> with dependencies, parallel execution, etc.?

Maybe a little too experimental and featureful for the busybox crowd.
A lot of people's systems run with no fluff straight off of inittab.

> There are many projects out there, just no name runit[0], minit[1],
> initng[2] and cinit[3].

Thanks for the links to initng and cinit, I'll add them to my list
at http://recycle.lbl.gov/~ldoolitt/foundations.html, which explains
more of the reasons to be dissatisfied with SysV init.

> Why I would prefer cinit to runit is that cinit does only uses the service
> concept and does not split off in 3 different stages. But I am
> subjective as beeing the author of it.

:-)

         - Larry