[BusyBox] Patch 006 from the bug thing (devfsd)

Rainer Weikusat rainer.weikusat at sncag.com
Tue Jun 7 07:04:59 UTC 2005

Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> writes:
> On Sunday 05 June 2005 11:35 am, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
>> Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> writes:
>> > The first two screenfulls of this patch were entirely gratuitous
>> > whitespace and formatting changes (adding/moving curly brackets for no
>> > readily apparent reason).  I got tired of reading this noise after the
>> > first two pages with no actual changes yet.
>> >
>> > Why are extensive whitespace changes mixed in with a functional
>> > change?
>>
>> The simple answer is that humans are not compilers and can read
>> consistently and sensibly formatted text easier, despite many people
>> are too lazy to care for such details.
>
> *shrug*  I was just explaining why I wasn't going to merge it.  Apparently you
> don't want it merged.  We are in agreement.
>
> By mixing gratuitous whitespace changes in with your functional changes, you
> make it harder for me to read the patch.

I had nothing to do with this patch and a formatting change is
gratuitous to a compiler, but may not be gratuitous a human reader,
especially considering that a lot of 'busybox' has been cobbled
together from different sources or written by different people who
didn't even bother to format consistently within a single file (udhcp,
httpd, ftpgetput, ...).

[...]

> my estimate of your judgement is such that I don't want to  apply a
> patch you've ever had anything to do with if I can help it.

To be honest: You have yet to write a single thing that would convince
me that your "judgement" is anyhow above the level of "average bad-tempered
loudmouth".