[BusyBox] sugestion: date -d extension

Gyorgy Farkas gf.mail at freemail.hu
Sat Jun 4 19:34:02 UTC 2005

walter harms <wharms at bfs.de> wrote:

> i do not say "you can not do that" with busybox. The point
is that
> gnudate (-d option) is more powerfull. adding a 'hint'
command line
> parameter would increase power of "bbdate -d" without
adding a whole
> bunch of code.
> I can write the code and would donate it but it would
extend bb beyond
> date. the question is: do you (the ML) want that ?
> (short: limited compartibility vs feature)

Hi Walter,

OK, I agree with you, GNU 'date -d' is more powerful than BB
'date -d'
(and any BusyBox improvement can be useful ;).

Although I don't fully understand why just the
1970.01.01-00:00:00  format was choosen by the author
instead of the
1970-01-01 00:00:00  pure ISO 8601 representation - but this
YYYY.MM.DD-hh:mm:ss BB input string is convenient for me
because very easy to convert from an ISO string,
and YYYY.MM.DD. is a usual notation in Hungary.

And most probably I don't fully understand either your
suggestion.
What would we do more easily after your modification?
Would be an incidentally needed date conversion script
simpler on BB?

Could you give me a few realistic 'usage' examples - please
if you have a little spare time and some patience.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
George.