[BusyBox] Filesystem detection in mount & lazy unmount

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Jul 9 21:22:11 UTC 2005

On Saturday 09 July 2005 15:23, Chris Spiegel wrote:
> Hi,
>   "mount" from mainline util-linux has the ability to do automatic
> filesystem detection, if no type is selected, by checking magic numbers -
> this is more complete than just checking /proc/filesystems because it can
> detect filesystems whose modules are not loaded.  When it tries to mount,
> then, the module automatically loads.  I find this to be a very handy
> feature.  SGI's xfsprogs has a small implementation of the filesystem
> detection that weigs in at about 5K compiled, on my system.  Would this be
> a useful addition to busybox?  If so, I'd be happy to integrate the code
> into busybox.

The current code has filesystem detection, it just doesn't work right. :)

> Also regarding mainline util-linux, umount has the ability to do a "lazy"
> unmount - it registers the unmount, and as soon as the filesystem isn't
> being used anymore, it's actually unmounted.  As with the above, I'm
> willing to add this feature if it's deemed appropriate.
>
> Chris

I have a major rewrite of "mount" pending.  I've posted it to the list a few
times.  I've been delayed by the past few weeks by a new laptop (most
recently the power supply brick stopped supplying power and started beeping,
which was a new one for me.  Don't buy Dell...)

Lazy umount is just a flag passed to the OS, as are forced unmounts and bind
mounts and so on.

Now that somebody's expressed interest, I'll see what I can do about cleaning
it up and submitting it again...  possibly this evening?