[BusyBox] Problems with buildroot wget/no common repository

Ulf Samuelsson ulfs at dof.se
Mon Feb 21 06:48:48 UTC 2005

> Well, you said it. DVD media is cheap. But IDE drives, how expensive
> are they? I mean, my machine has a 2 year old 120 GB HD that at that
> time cost less than $200 (USD). Even if I have loads of toolchains and
> tarballs on it at least 50 % of the space is filled with divx.

Note the keywords "laptop" and "dual boot". I have 20 GB free for Linux
on the current Dell 60+20 GB laptop. This is going to pieces and I have to
get a new one, and I am told I have to get a Dell, making this max 100 GB
on a single hard disk. (The HP NW8000 can use 2 HDD, but Atmel wants Dell)
I am at the limit of the Windows partition as well, and this needs to
grwo so I think on a 100 GB HDD, I can max use 25 GB for Linux.

> I think it is hard to find one solution that fits all users. I dunno
> about buildroot, but crosstool is basically a set of shell scripts,
> data files and patches. In other words - it is rather easy to modify
> the scripts.

Yes, I can modifiy scripts (and did so for my crosstool installation) but
it would be nice if I could have the same directory for "buildroot" and other similar stuff.
Crosstool already solves the problem for me.
I could do such changes in buildroot, but I think it only makes sense if it is included in
the main buildroot release.
It is a waste of time to modify buildroot myself if it breaks for any new buildroot release.

I think it maybe a good idea to have a script which can fetch
a tarball from one of several locations. It seems like one or two ftp links are
broken in any such package I try.

> Just write some glue code (sh-scripts of makefiles) that wraps around
> the projects and sets the variables to fit your taste. If you are
> unlucky you might need to patch the projects but that is probably
> rather easy too.
>
> I have quite recently designed a small stand alone distribution that
> could be executed in QEMU. The distribution is based on busybox and
> linux-2.6 and crosscompiles everything from sources using crosstool to
> minimize the dependencies of the build machine. No root access is
> needed. I would be happy to share the code with anyone that is
> interested.
>
> / magnus

P.S. Pls do not reply to ulfs at dof.se, since it is my mobile phone

Best Regards