[BusyBox] how does telnetd set up a user session?

Vijay Padiyar vijay_padiyar at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 17 12:01:28 UTC 2005

Hi

I'm using BusyBox 1.0 with Linux 2.6.10 on an MPC8260 target. I've
configured inetd to run automatically on startup (inittab) and am calling
telnetd through it (inetd.conf).

I'm facing a situation where my remote telnet terminal gets stuck midway
when I run some commands that involve significant transfer of data from the
target to the terminal. For example, when I do an 'ls -l' on a directory
with lots of entries (e.g. /lib or /proc), or when I do a 'more' on a large
file, it displays half the stuff and then gets completely stuck. I have to
close the terminal window or kill the appropriate shell process (ash) on the
target.

I've mounted a JFFS2 partition on my Flash as root and am running BusyBox
from there. I've also mounted the /dev/pts file system and am using that to
set up the telnet connection.

To debug this problem, I just need to get a basic idea of how a telnet
connection is set up. Can someone explain to me how exactly a shell process
(ash) is set up by BusyBox in response to a login from the system console or
telnet? Which is the code that sets up the link between the ash process and
the appropriate device file (/dev/ttySx or /dev/pts/x)?

I hope my question wasn't confusing!!! I'm really looking forward to some
help on this!

Regards

Vijay Padiyar

http://www.vijaypadiyar.eu.tf