[BusyBox] Problems with getty not spawning correctly (more)

Paul Fox pgf at brightstareng.com
Sat Feb 12 19:15:17 UTC 2005

 > > Do you really need getty?
 > > I personally use to have direct login in my initab:
 > >
 > > 0:12345:respawn:login olivier
 > >
 > > The system continues to use /dev/console and that works fine,
 > > with the benefit of not having to specify the precise device to that.
 > > The only drawback is that I had to patch a kernel file to get back the
 > > <control c> task interrupt action.. I can give you it if needed..
 >
 > I'm interested in that patch.  I'm using User Mode Linux with /dev/console
 > going to the stdin and stdout of the UML process, and it works fine except
 > for no ctrl-c.    (I have to kill it from another terminal when necessary.)

i may well be missing something, but it's possible you'd both be
well-served by this patch for init:
    http://bugs.busybox.net/view.php?id=24
with this patch, and changing the above line to:
 0:12345:respawn:-login olivier
the login process would get its own controlling tty.

we did this so that if our boot scripts need input from the user,
then things like ^C will work.  (therefore i have to add the
caveat that we've only used it with "sysinit" lines, and not
"respawn" lines.)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at brightstareng.com