[BusyBox] Problems with getty not spawning correctly (more)

olivier.delouya at takimaging.com olivier.delouya at takimaging.com
Sat Feb 12 11:47:39 UTC 2005

Hi John

Do you really need getty?
I personally use to have direct login in my initab:

0:12345:respawn:login olivier

The system continues to use /dev/console and that works fine,
with the benefit of not having to specify the precise device to that.
The only drawback is that I had to patch a kernel file to get back the
<control c> task interrupt action.. I can give you it if needed..

I must add that it may not necessarily solve your issue,
because, in the past, I was also using getty without any trouble...

Olivier

jpswensen at comcast.net
Sent by: busybox-bounces at mail.codepoet.org
11/02/2005 19:07

"Vijay Padiyar" <vijay_padiyar at hotmail.com>, "BusyBox Support"
<busybox at mail.codepoet.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [BusyBox] Problems with getty not spawning correctly (more)

Well, neither of those suggestions worked.  We tried any number of inittab
and boot argument combinations, with no success.  I guess our
misunderstanding is of what getty does exactly.  Our understanding is as
follows.

1) /dev/console and /dev/ttyS0 access the serial port hardware
2) when the kernel is booting, it uses /dev/console
3) the getty respawn step basically stops /dev/console from using the
serial port hardware and switches it to /dev/ttyS0, then runs login on the
tty

Is this correct?

John