[BusyBox] Problems with getty not spawning correctly

Vijay Padiyar vijay_padiyar at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 10 14:42:46 UTC 2005

Hi John

Can you send me your Linux boot arguments, that are passed to it from the
bootloader when it boots the kernel?

Regards

Vijay

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 00:52:27 +0000
From: jpswensen at comcast.net
Subject: [BusyBox] Problems with getty not spawning correctly
To: busybox at mail.busybox.net
st.net>

A guy at work and I have been using busybox with uClibc on an MVME5100
PowerPC board.  Since we are doing it on our own time, we haven't had any
time to work on it since November.  We have encountered some strangeness
with getty since we started working on it again about a week ago and are
hoping someone can help us out.

We use the uClibc toolchain utility called buildroot to build the toolchain
and generate the ext2 image to use as the initrd.  The strange thing is that
we can use the ramdisk.initrd.gz we had been using months ago and everything
works fine, but if we try to use the ramdisk.initrd.gz we are creating now,
it appears as if the
ttyS0::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100
isn't working anymore and we can't figure out why.  The output from booting
up ends right after the rcS script finishes running.  If we build an ssh
server into the filesystem, we are able to ssh into the machine, but for
some reason the getty respawn isn't acting the same as before.  Has this
changed in any way?  We are using the same binutils, gcc, and kernel as
before, so any changes are in uClibc, busybox, or all the other stuff that
buildroot downloads (kernel headers, genext2, various patches, etc.)

I tried doing a
::once:-/bin/sh
or
::once:-/bin/sh
and that seems to work, but aren't there issues running off of /dev/console
rather than /dev/ttyS0?

Any help would be appreciated.

John Swensen