syslog basic querry

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Dec 31 16:53:33 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 27 December 2005 18:11, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <20051227174704.80990.qmail at web413.biz.mail.mud.yahoo.com> you
wrote:
> > This would happen on any unix machine.  The tail program
> >  never reopens the file being monitored.  So when syslogd
>
> It depends. See the "--max-unchanged-stats" option with GNU tar which
> handles exaclty cases like this one.

Actually, that's an option of gnu tail.  And it seems quite useful, albeit the
user interface indicates it's clearly an afterthought.

It seems that --max-unchanged-stats and --retry could usefully be grouped
under a "-r" for reopen option.  (or -r for retry and -o for reopen to keep
the semantics separate.)  When redisplaying, reopening the file and doing an
lseek isn't hard to implement. ..