syslog basic querry

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Dec 23 06:17:23 UTC 2005

On Thursday 22 December 2005 22:51, alfred hitch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have just started using busybox syslogd and tail etc ..
> 2 Questions:
>
> 1) How to change the reap size after which syslogd shifts messages
> from /var/log/messages to messages.old ? and then removes altogether ?
> any option possible for runtime to syslogd
>
> 2) If I do a tail -f /var/log/messages and this file is "reap" ed in
> background. I dont see any logs coming on screen, of course they are still
> going to messages file. But, how to keep on getting these on screen also ..
> some file handling desc. invalid issue ? any work arounds ?

I don't personally use that so I dunno about #1, but with #2 it sounds like
what's happening is when the file is reaped the old file gets (or deleted)
and a new one gets created with new messages going to the new file.

In contrast, tail -f opens the file once and monitors that filehandle.  If you
rename, it's look at the old file, not the new one.  Filename is irrelevant
after the open, it's a question of which inode the filehandle is associated
with...