[buildroot] $(STRIP) --strip-unneeded on a SHARED library...WHY?

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Tue Dec 6 18:10:10 UTC 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 11:44:56AM -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
>  > > -$(STRIP) --strip-unneeded $(TARGET_DIR)/lib/libdb*so*
>  > >
>  > > which is not fine, because all symbol information from the libraries is now
>  > > removed, and whenever a linker tries linking against thusly stripped
>  > > libraries, you get "undefined symbol..." errors.
>  >
>  > cant say ive had this issue before and as solar pointed out, we've been
>  > using --strip-unneeded on *all* shared libraries for quite a long time
>  > now without any linking issues
>
> we use --strip-unneeded too, and it's fine.  but it's fine for
> runtime.  is it perhaps the case that libraries stripped like
> that can no longer be used in development?

no, because we're using it in Gentoo

that means every single Gentoo user has every single shared library
stripped with --strip-unneeded

i have yet to see a bug reported where someone was unable to link
against a library ... and since it's Gentoo, everytime a package is
installed, it's compiled and linked on every system
-mike