[buildroot] $(STRIP) --strip-unneeded on a SHARED library...WHY?

Ned Ludd solar at gentoo.org
Tue Dec 6 12:06:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 22:18 -0800, John Z. Bohach wrote:
> This is post in case anyone uses buildroot...
>
> In many instances of shared library installation, I notice that the authors of
> the package/{package_x}/{package_x}.mk file really like to render their
> shared libraries useless.
>
> If you'd like to destroy your system, or build an otherwise useless one, see
> what happens when you `strip --strip-unneeded` on a shared library.

Actually this is quite safe to do in fact nearly every single in a
recent build of mine only out of 816 shared objects only 13 were not
additionally stripped with --strip-unneeded. You will also find that
most every major distributions also uses --strip-unneeded by default,
often mixed with split debug info and this works for well over a
million users uclibc & glibc.

By useless perhaps we are to assume you mean harder to debug?