The design of mdev (mini-udev for busybox).

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Dec 6 10:59:41 PST 2005

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 03:24, David Seikel wrote:
> Most enlightening.  When I finally get around to doing more work on My
> Linux, I will give initramfs another go.  Paul Fox had most of the same
> objections that I had to it.
>
> On the other hand, for an installer, what goes into mdev plus the extra
> stuff I wanted to go in still seem like a very good idea to me.  I
> shall wait and see.  It's not like I was gonna be able to get back to
> My Linux any time soon.

It seems to me that expanding miscutils/makedevs.c to do what you want might
be a better idea.  The directory creation functionality was fallout from
having mdev mount /tmp automatically, and it's been pointed out that it
depends on both /tmp and /sys, and at that point these should probably be
documented prerequisites.

And if you do the mount before you do the mdev, then you can do the mkdir and
such before.

However, making makedevs and mdev able to work off of the same config file is
a possibility.  I'm all for making what you want to do as easy and efficient
as possible, I'm just not quite sure the best way to go about it just yet...