Testiness.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Aug 31 04:04:18 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 30 August 2005 19:29, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> > This is clearly broken behavior, I'm wondering where the brokenness
> > originated.  (I'm guessing Microsoft might have been involved if it's a
> > standards body.  After all, MS filesystems are case insensitive...)
>
> Looks broken to me, too. But it seems very few  people  even  notice,
> and even fewer care.

Well, I care. :)

Busybox doesn't support much internationalization, because that's an enormous
source of bloat.  We might support utf-8 someday if people can point out how
this is supposed to differ from what we're currently doing, but if it
includes this kind of blatant stupidity, then no, we won't. :)

As for this, I'm wondering if it's just a bug that became widespread because
everybody updated to the new GNU tools at once, or if somebody somewhere
intentionally made a really horrible decision (and if so, what their
rationale was)...