Testiness.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 31 00:29:08 UTC 2005

In message <200508301909.03225.rob at landley.net> you wrote:

> Is this ubuntu brokenness, gnu brokenness, some standards body that
> collectively dropped acid, or a simple mistake nobody's bothered to correct
> because they think it's intentional?

I see the same in several current Linux distros (Ubuntu, Fedora  Core
2/3/4, SuSE 9.2/3...) when using such locale settings.

For example:

Fedora Core 2:

	$ cat /etc/issue
	Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang)
	Kernel \r on an \m

	$ echo [a-z]*
	config.mk CVS flash.c load_sernum_ethaddr.c Makefile tqm8xx.c u-boot.lds u-boot.lds.debug

[mind the "CVS' and "Makefile" entries which definitely do NOT  match
"[a-z]*' - at least in my understanding.]

Fedora Core 4:

	$ cat /etc/issue
	Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz)
	Kernel \r on an \m

	$ echo [a-z]*
	config.mk CVS flash.c load_sernum_ethaddr.c Makefile tqm8xx.c u-boot.lds u-boot.lds.debug
	$ echo $LANG
	en_US.UTF-8
	$ LANG=C
	$ echo [a-z]*
	config.mk flash.c load_sernum_ethaddr.c tqm8xx.c u-boot.lds u-boot.lds.debug

SuSE 9.2:

	$ cat /etc/issue

	Welcome to SuSE Linux 9.2 (i586) - Kernel \r (\l).

	$ echo [a-z]*
	config.mk CVS flash.c load_sernum_ethaddr.c Makefile tqm8xx.c u-boot.lds u-boot.lds.debug
	$ echo $LANG
	en_US.UTF-8
	$ LANG=C
	$ echo [a-z]*
	config.mk flash.c load_sernum_ethaddr.c tqm8xx.c u-boot.lds u-boot.lds.debug

> This is clearly broken behavior, I'm wondering where the brokenness
> originated.  (I'm guessing Microsoft might have been involved if it's a
> standards body.  After all, MS filesystems are case insensitive...)

Looks broken to me, too. But it seems very few  people  even  notice,
and even fewer care.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I can't understand it. I can't even understand  the  people  who  can
understand it.                    - Queen Juliana of the Netherlands.