[BusyBox] Lease remembering in udhcpc?

Josef Wolf jw at
Sun Aug 21 22:21:54 UTC 2005

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 06:17:58PM +0200, Rainer Weikusat wrote:

> The second is not so easy, though, because all times in DHCP are
> relative to the beginning of a particular negotiation cycle, which
> means that the client can neither reliably determine if the lease is still
> valid (the host clock could have changed arbitrarily in the meantime)

Umpf... I can't believe you're really worrying about the clock.
I understand that DHCP times are relative. But this doesn't mean that
they can't be converted to a more sane format.  There are several dhcp
clients which are able to cope with this clock problem...

> nor does it know if it is still usable at all (client might be running
> on a different subnet).

So what? it _might_ be on a different subnet. But in 99.9999% it will be
on the _same_ subnet.  But even _if_ it happens to be on a different
subnet: what's the problem?

--
No software patents in Europe -- http://nosoftwarepatents.com
-- Josef Wolf -- jw at raven.inka.de --