[BusyBox] static & shared lib

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Aug 9 12:06:41 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 06:20, Lancelot wrote:
> hi, all
>
> I am using intel iop80331 development board, and mount root file system by
> NFS.
>
> If I built busybox in buildroot with static, I can work normal everytime.
> But, when I built it with shared lib, I can only work normal on first
> time when I mount the file system. And I used the follow command to
> mount the file system.
>
> mount -t ext2 -o loop root_fs_arm.ext2 /exports/fs

Sounds like your mount is hiding your shared libraries somehow.  (Do they live
under /export/fs?)

> Initializing random number generator... done.
> Starting network...
> a: applet not found!

Is your init script trying to call an applet named "a"?

> So, what's different between static and shared lib in busybox?
> Is it the same as normal in linux ?

What's the alternative?

Yes, busybox is an executable.  Statically linked executables don't need
external libraries (with the exception of the horror that is glibc
dynamically loading a random library to do name resolution).  Dynamically
linked executables need external libraries.

> can any one give me some kind of hint ?
> I didn't what to do on next.

Throw in a dynamically linked "hello world" program at the failure point and
make sure it's getting run.