[BusyBox] config.h/bb_config.h translation broken

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Aug 2 17:53:21 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 02 August 2005 11:00, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> In any case, this sed script translates #undef xxx to #define xxx 0
> and CONFIG_xxx to BB_xxx.
>
> sed 's/^#undef\(.*\)/#define\1 0/; s/ CONFIG_/ BB_/' < config.h >
> bb_config.h

1) I know I can use multiple print commands, but I'd like to point out that as
far as I know this is a fix for a version of sed that predates gcc 2.95.  Is
this correct?  If this was a proposed fix so busybox would build under egcs
1.1.2 (which hasn't been shipped or supported in about as long), how would
you treat it?  Especially considering that "sed" can be updated on the system
in question without updating the rest of the system, and that this build just
fine with busybox's own version of sed.

(Debian's developers had their "goodbye woody" party already.  In brazil.
There were balloons.  David Wheeler has pictures in his travel blog.)

2) We're already translating CONFIG_ to ENABLE_, and saying "now that that's
checked in I think it should be BB_" is a purely cosmetic judgement.  There
are no existing conflicts with ENABLE, and anybody who introduces new ones in
the Linux kernel A) would be bodily harmed by Linus, B) will be breaking
existing apps, C) will most likely have those changes filtered out of the
"cleaned up" userspace headers Mazur produces.

There's no reason to think BB_ is more unique prefix than ENABLE_, and this
kind of second-guessing about future breakage is just nuts.