[BusyBox] Using memory in daemons process

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Apr 27 01:15:40 UTC 2005

On Sunday 24 April 2005 04:21 pm, JBS wrote:
> We are using busybox for shell, syslogd, init and other background
> programs.
>
> But we use also a lot of programas, like passwd, addgroup, cp, mv, etc.
>
> The problem is the more programs we need the more memory need every
> background process.
>
> Is there a solution to use only the memory that every process need,
> reducing the memory of daemon process.
>
> Thanks.

What environment are you using?  I presume you have no MMU, because in a
system with an MMU physical memory generally isn't allocated until the page
is touched.  (And zeroed out memory pages are multiple copy-on-write mappings
of the zero page.)

That said, if you build a debug version (it's in the menuconfig options) and
run "nm --size-sort" on the result, it should tell you who the biggest
offenders are.  Then you can grep the source for the symbols...