[BusyBox] tar/gunzip error with links

stephane.billiart stephane.billiart at laposte.net
Mon Apr 25 13:17:59 UTC 2005

After upgrading to the latest SVN version last friday (04/22)

I noticed tar no longer works with gzip and links.

Here is how to reproduce:

# echo a > a

# ln a b

# /bin/tar cf test.tar a b

# ./busybox tar tf test.tar

# gzip test.tar

# ./busybox tar tzf test.tar.gz

tar: Invalid tar magic

# /bin/tar tzf test.tar.gz

Symbolic links instead of hard links produce the same result

My busybox is build with gunzip but not gzip.

I observed this behaviour first on my uClibc linux system and
reproduced
it on my glibc Debian development machine.

Finally, I noticed that if 'a' if empty ('touch a' instead of
'echo a>a'),
the tar applet works OK.

--
Stephane