[BusyBox] [patch] zcip for busybox (rfc3927)

David Brownell david-b at pacbell.net
Mon Apr 18 19:27:05 UTC 2005

On Monday 18 April 2005 11:59 am, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 18 April 2005 02:04 pm, David Brownell wrote:
> > Here's my latest version of zcip for busybox.
>
> perhaps wrap the main() definition in a NO_BUSYBOX def too ?

Why?  That's worked just fine.  I'd much rather avoid #ifdeffery,
and minimize BusyBox-specific bits.

Having something that works outside BusyBox is important too ... and
right now, this is the only reasonably conformant implementation I
know about on Linux.  Until there are real choices, I'll avoid doing
anything that couples this one too strongly with BusyBox.

> and instead of
> using fprintf(stderr) / perror() in places, utilize bb_{,p}error_msg() /
> bb_{,p}error_msg_and_die() ?

Again, why?  The current code works fine, is portable, and it's
not as if there'd be significant savings in object for the handful
of messages that'd be affected.  Last time I measured, the whole
thing was under 2KB on ARM.

Related topic:  I was just scanning the HOWL list and it looks as
if there's finally work afoot to come up with a GPL-compatible
version of what mDNSResponder does.  So now's a good time for folk
to start diving into this stuff, especially anyone who's interested
in the system integration issues (e.g. service registration/lookup)
and the dynamic network (re)configuration issues.

- Dave