[BusyBox] Re: any reason why telnetd rejects and vanishes?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 12 10:15:41 UTC 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Vijay Padiyar wrote:

> Well, in that case, there's one more problem with BusyBox. I submitted a bug
> report about it to BusyBox.
>
> In the file 'networking/telnetd.c', add the following line at the top of the
> file:
>
> #include <config.h>
>
> This is because (as of BusyBox version 1.0) the following code in telnetd.c
> doesn't get executed even if CONFIG_FEATURE_DEVPTS option is enabled in
> config.h:
>
> #ifdef CONFIG_FEATURE_DEVPTS
>  p = open("/dev/ptmx", 2);
>  if (p > 0) {
>   grantpt(p);
>   unlockpt(p);
>   strcpy(line, ptsname(p));
>   return(p);
>  }
> #else
> ..
> #endif
>
> So I have two suggestions for you:
>
> 1. Add the line mentioned above to telnetd.c, compile BusyBox again and try
> it out.
>
> 2. If it still doesn't work, check whether your /etc/protocols and
> /etc/services files are in order and whether you have the following line
> present (and as shown here) in /etc/inetd.conf:
>
> telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/telnetd       telnetd
>
> Do this and then tell me if it still doesn't work.

i'll give this a test shortly but let me emphasize a point one more
time -- telnetd used to work fine under the same version of busybox on
the same system.  the only thing that's changed is the kernel -- the
boot-time scripts are the same, the /dev directory is (apparently) the
same, and so on.

and i'm not running inetd, so i'm pretty sure my /etc/inetd.conf file
contents aren't relevant, right?

rday