[BusyBox] Re: kernel panic

Gabriel Somlo somlo at acns.colostate.edu
Wed Sep 29 22:11:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 05:58:59PM -0400, Michael Shearer wrote:
> I'm using the latest 1.0 release candidate with linux 2.4.22 and it works fine.  Have you guys tried doing and ldd on busybox to make sure you haven't missed any shared libraries.  You might also want to try recompiling busybox with 2.4.x kernel headers.  I haven't looked but there might be some dependencies there (even though in theory it shouldn't matter).

OK, I remember now. When I was building the initrd image with busybox,
I was ripping the libraries from the linux host on which I was doing
the build.

There's some interaction between glibc and the kernel, and RH9 and
later use the new thing, and patch the 2.4 kernel to work with it (2.4
by default uses the "old thing" -- I still don't remember specifically
what the problem was :) :) ).

So, either rip the kernel from the host box as well, along with glibc,
or use a glibc that works with the stock 2.4 kernel on the initrd...

Thanks Mike for jogging my memory a bit... :)

Gabriel