[BusyBox] Re: kernel panic

Gabriel Somlo somlo at acns.colostate.edu
Wed Sep 29 19:33:32 UTC 2004

> From: Luke Albers <gtg940r at mail.gatech.edu>
>
> I have a system that runs fine with kernel 2.6.5.  For testing/debugging
> purposes, I need to get it running with a 2.4 kernel as well.  I
> compiled 2.4.27 with (I'm fairly sure) everything I need included.  When
> I boot up, the kernel panics, and give me a message about how /sbin/init
> cannot load shared library libc.so.6 because it is not found.  Then the
> kernel panics with a message saying that it tried to kill init.
>
> libc.so.6 is definitely there.  Any suggestions?

I feel your pain :) After upgrading to some 1.0 release candidate or
other, I had the same problem. The fix was 'use a 2.6 kernel'.

Get an older version of busybox (e.g., the latest stable 0.6*), those
do work with 2.4.

I'd still appreciate if someone posted an explanation (or link to one)
about what exactly the problem is with init, libc.so.6, the kernel
version...

Cheers,
Gabriel