[BusyBox] can't access tty: job control turned off

Pelle Svensson pelle2004 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 24 19:05:37 UTC 2004

>From: "Jeff \"Tiny\" Warren" <tiny.laser at verizon.net>
>To: Pelle Svensson <pelle2004 at hotmail.com>
>CC: busybox at mail.busybox.net
>Subject: Re: [BusyBox] can't access tty: job control turned off
>Date: 24 Sep 2004 09:19:49 -0700
>
>Pelle,
>
>I went over this same problem myself and tried to comprehensively
>document my dev dir,inittab file,bootargs,etc.  It is in this months
>archives, "Job control turned off, yet again", see if that helps.  My
>setup is similar to yours, the AT91Rm9200 has a ttySA0, but you are
>supposed to use ttyS0 (I don't know if this is the same in your case).
>
>Regards,
>
>Jeff
>

>On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 05:56, Pelle Svensson wrote:
> > !!!Please!!!
> >
> > Could anyone explain in detail the necessary steps needed for the
>correct
> > setup of
> > a ARM system using a serial terminal on ttyAM1 (204,16)
> >
> > kernel command line: console=ttyAM1,115200 ...
> >
> > 1. correct setup of /dev entries
> > 1. correct setup of inittab
> >

> > What I can figure in all my attempts is that I'm running the respawn of
>sh
> > as the console
> > in my inittab. When busybox verify the tty it get's the errorno ENOTTY
>(Not
> > a typewrite) error.
> >
> > #inittab
> > ::wait:/sbin/getty -n -l /bin/sh 115200 /dev/console vt100
> >
> > There are hundreds of "can't access tty: job control turned off" in the
> > mailinglist
> > but all fragmented in there description of the correct setup needed.
> >
> > /Thanks

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the link to your thread.

Setting up thinks in the correct way solved my problem.
I did miss on the dev entry for the serial port.

kernel command line: console=ttyAM1,115200 ...

indicated using serial port '1' and dev entry was using serial port '0'

mknod  -m 666 ttyAM1 204 16

should be

mknod  -m 666 ttyAM1 204 17

and then in inittab