[BusyBox] can't access tty: job control turned off

Pelle Svensson pelle2004 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 24 12:56:46 UTC 2004

!!!Please!!!

Could anyone explain in detail the necessary steps needed for the correct
setup of
a ARM system using a serial terminal on ttyAM1 (204,16)

kernel command line: console=ttyAM1,115200 ...

1. correct setup of /dev entries
1. correct setup of inittab

What I can figure in all my attempts is that I'm running the respawn of sh
as the console
in my inittab. When busybox verify the tty it get's the errorno ENOTTY (Not
a typewrite) error.

#inittab
::wait:/sbin/getty -n -l /bin/sh 115200 /dev/console vt100

There are hundreds of "can't access tty: job control turned off" in the
mailinglist
but all fragmented in there description of the correct setup needed.

/Thanks