[BusyBox] ramdisk howto

Denis Vlasenko vda at port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua
Fri Sep 24 15:04:12 UTC 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 09:44, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Frank wrote:
> > I am now booting my kernel with BusyBox root filesystem over NFS. I
> > want to create a ramdisk image and boot from flash, but can't seem
> > to find a target in the makefile to do this. is ther a FAQ or some
> > documentation for BusyBox that expalins the procedure to create a
> > bootable BusyBox ram disk image?
>
> i'm pretty sure that busybox itself doesn't have a target for creating
> a ramdisk image, i'm pretty sure that's your job.
>
> personally, i build my intended root filesystem and use "genext2fs" to
> turn it into an EXT2 filesystem, which i use as the basis of my
> initrd.

My initrd is in tarball at http://195.66.192.168/linux/initrd/
(untar and run mkimg to make ext2 image).

I booted my system over NFS with it by supplying these
kernel boot params:

root=/dev/ram
init=/linuxrc
devfs=nomount
ROOTFS=172.17.0.1:/.rootfs/.std
IPCFG=mac,100mbit,ipbrd
IP=172.17.2.31/16
DEFROUTE=172.17.0.1
INIT=/init

You will probably want to set INIT=/sbin/init.
--
vda