[BusyBox] no console found error

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Sep 24 08:04:01 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 22 September 2004 20:48, Frank wrote:
> I'm getting the following error when trying to boot the kernel
> with  BusyBox as my root filesystem:
>
> "Warning: unable to open an initial console."
>
> Anyone have any idea why this is hapenning.

Busybox init's console finding logic is a bit strange (see init/init.c
function "console_init").  It's probably looking for /dev/console, which is a
character device major 5 minor 1, which is not the same as /dev/tty (major 5
minor 0) which is not the same as /dev/tty0 (major 4 minor 0).

It could be any of those.   Or none.  Maybe it's autodetected that you're
using a serial console, or you're using a sparc, or devfs, or... :)

You could always check and see what you've got, and then open whatever device
you _can_ write to and stick fprintfs into the code to see what it's doing...

www.linucon.org: Linux Expo and Science Fiction Convention
October 8-10, 2004 in Austin Texas.  (I'm the con chair.)