[BusyBox] Insmod memory issue

Fabrice Gautier Fabrice_Gautier at sdesigns.com
Thu Oct 21 23:08:28 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm using uClinux with the non-power of 2 allocator and insmod from busybox.

When I load a module whose size is about 1 Meg, and then do a cat
/proc/mem_map I see that a lot more than 1 Meg is being used.

More exactly I see two huge chunks. One is about 924 K which match closely
the size of data+text+bss. The second one is 676K, which closely match the
size fo the data section.
Also in some cases the insmod will failed because it cannot alloc a second
chunk of 924K. When it fails like this it dump proc/mem_map, and I can see
that the two other big chunk have already been allocated, so this one is a
third big chunk that gets freed after insmod is done.

I also tried to use the in kernel loading optimization for uClinux, but it
doesnt change anything to my observation if I enable it or not.

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks.

-- Fabrice