[BusyBox] Adding an option to tar

R. Weber rjweber at onz.com
Thu Oct 14 23:45:21 UTC 2004

Hello. I'm using busybox on a box that must integrate to an existing system.
This system downloads files via ftp, and then untars them. The untar options
are xzmf "filename". "m" is used to get rid of complaints about differing
time stamps.

Busybox tar doesn't support the m option. I could add tar separately, but tar
is huge, at least by default. I'd like to add this option to busybox. Looking
at the tar.c code, I'm lost as to how to go about this. I've added the line

 { "no-file-time",  0, NULL, 'm' },

to the tar_long_options structure, which I thought would allow the m option,
even though I haven't added any code for it yet, but the m option is still
unrecognized. Is there a write-up somewhere that might bet me up to speed on
changes to busybox, a design guideline, or something?

Tnx.

- Bob