[BusyBox] built-in commands problem

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Oct 6 20:21:32 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 04:59, Vladimir N. Oleynik wrote:
> Rob,
>
> > It would be nice if you could re-exec your current process, but there
> > doesn't seem to be a way to do it, even playing with /proc.  The
> > alternative to properly fix this is to make ash reentrant, which looks
> > like a couple months work (and on my to-do list for maybe around 2008. :)
>
> Heh.
> "Trivial humour" idea.
> If make 2 BSS variable: busybox_start_bss and busybox_end_bss and say for
> ld make as consequent: first and last, we can make "reentrant" as
> memset(busybox_start_bss, busybox_end - busybox_start_bss);
> ;-)
> But also,
> the CONFIG_FEATURE_CLEAN_UP for a long time is forgotten
> for support in many applets.

I thought of that. I'm not sure it's portable and I'm not sure everything's
initialized to 0 the first time, but yeah, that's an option.

It would be nice if the shell actualy had all its initialization in one place,
of course... :)

www.linucon.org: Linux Expo and Science Fiction Convention
October 8-10, 2004 in Austin Texas.  (I'm the con chair.)