[BusyBox] Busybox init.

Rory Vieira rory.vieira at coolview.nl
Tue Nov 9 11:56:34 UTC 2004

Hiroshi and Steve,

I finally found a probable solution for the entire problem.
This is the situation:

We want a initrd running busybox to run another rootfs also running
busybox.
We want to have the initrd execute the rootfs' busybox as 'init' using
chroot (and
probably pivot_root before that) WITHOUT having to use SysVinit (which
isn't bad though)

Compile the busybox for the rootfs with the 'linuxrc' option enabled.
(support from initrd)
I.s.o. doing 'chroot . /sbin/init ...' do:

  chroot . /linuxrc ...

Ok, so now process with PID 1 isn't called init, but who cares :) It
does work as expected.
I've been testing this all morning using user-mode-linux, and it seems
to work like a charm...

Hope this helps...

Cheers,
Rory Vieira
The Cool View

rory dot vieira at coolview dot nl
http colon slash slash www dot coolview dot nl