DNS server (was Re: [BusyBox] An alternative to buildroot.)

Charlie Brady charlieb-busybox at e-smith.com
Mon May 31 14:55:34 UTC 2004

On Sat, 29 May 2004, Rob Landley wrote:

> I'm working to get c++ up and running so I can build python under this thing
> (so I can use the oak dns server).

I hope they've fix it since this was written:

 Oak DNS Server is a good example of why novices shouldn't try to write
 DNS software. The digitallumber.net domain, served by Oak DNS Server 1.0, is
 inaccessible to a huge number of clients that try AAAA lookups before A
 lookups: the server incorrectly returns NXDOMAIN for AAAA, effectively
 wiping out its own A record.

Anyway, FWIW, I've successfully built djbdns against uClibc. tinydns
executable is 50k (mipsel). dnscache is 110k.

To cross-compile, you need to defeat the build-time autoconfiguration
embedded in the makefile. You'll need to choose h1 or h2 for each test
depending on your target's capabilities.

GCC=mipsel-uclibc-gcc
rm -f $(cat TARGETS)

echo $GCC -Os -Wall > conf-cc
echo $GCC -s > conf-ld

make compile load choose
cat iopause.h1 > iopause.h
cat uint64.h1 > uint64.h
cat uint32.h2 > uint32.h
make chkshsgr
cat hasshsgr.h1 > hasshsgr.h
cat direntry.h2 > direntry.h
cat hasdevtcp.h1 > hasdevtcp.h
cat select.h2 > select.h

make pickdns dnscache tinydns rbldns walldns

--
Charlie