[BusyBox] how to get "reboot" to work when using "minit"??

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu May 6 17:54:28 UTC 2004

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Rob Landley wrote:

> By definition, init should be pid 1.  If it isn't, the system is Not Happy
> (tm) in many ways.  (I've done this, years ago.  It was interesting to debug.
> My init script was calling init as a normal program, when it was supposed to
> exec it...)

if i boot with "init=/sbin/minit", then the resulting minit executable
*does* have PID 1.  anyway, i didn't mean to drag this thread out this
long.

the issue is, i've built a system that has both the BB "init" applet (and
supporting files), as well as an external "minit" executable (and
supporting /etc/minit directory structure).

at the moment, i can boot and choose which init program i want to use
at the boot line.  that's not the problem.  the problem is that, if
i boot with minit, then the BB "reboot" applet can't reboot since it
apparently won't recognize minit as PID 1.

so the question is, is this a flaw in the BB reboot applet?  should it
be general enough to handle this situation?  my opinion is that it
should be.  but that's just my opinion.

rday