[BusyBox] how to get "reboot" to work when using "minit"??

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Tue May 4 09:52:54 UTC 2004

On Mon, 3 May 2004, Gyepi SAM wrote:

> According to the code, when CONFIG_FEATURE_INITRD is enabled, busybox searches
> for a process called 'init' (and failing that, searches for a process called
> 'linuxrc'), otherwise it simply kills the process with pid == 1, whatever it
> might be called. So the simple solution is to deselect the init applet. Some
> people rename minit to init, which would also solve the problem, but possibly
> create others as well.

i'd resist that solution, since i don't think it's unreasonable to support
two (or more) completely independent init programs that you can select on
the boot line with "init=".  specifically, it's really handy to switch to
an alternate init-style program, and be able to switch back on the fly if
you screw it up.  that's what i've been doing and it's worked well so far.

> It appears to me that the code is not optimal: CONFIG_FEATURE_INITRD
> should be disregarded and when a process named 'init' or 'linuxrc'
> cannot be found, it should be safe to assume that whatever process has
> pid == 1 *is* init and should be killed.

is there any reason that you shouldn't just go after the process with
PID 1 in the first place, regardless of its name?  wouldn't that always
be the init-like process no matter what?

rday