[BusyBox] how to get "reboot" to work when using "minit"??

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Mon May 3 22:43:44 UTC 2004

  ok, given the impending demise of the BB "minit" applet, i downloaded
the actual minit source, cross-compiled it, installed it in /sbin/minit,
created a minimal /etc/minit boot structure, and successfully booted
using minit using:

  boot: ... init=/sbin/minit

  one problem, though.  previously, when i was using BB's init applet,
i could reboot the system by just typing:

  # reboot

  when running minit, though, what i get is

  # reboot
  reboot: no process killed

i'm guessing that it has to do with the fact that "reboot" calls the
kill_init() routine, and kill_init() might be getting confused since
it's looking for an actual init program running, but what's running
*instead* is minit (even though they both would have PID 1).

  NOTE: i still have the BB "init" applet configured, since i want
a fallback in case i screw up minit somehow.  so my root filesystem
has both:

  /sbin/init -> ../bin/busybox
  /sbin/minit (the actual executable)

in order for reboot to work under minit, do i have to deselect the init
applet from my BB configuration?  am i guessing correctly that it's the
kill_init() routine that's the problem in that it's somehow getting
confused?

rday