[BusyBox] modultils for 2.6?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue May 4 19:01:07 MDT 2004

On Monday 03 May 2004 13:21, Patrick Huesmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> DHollenbeck wrote:
> > busybox modprobe for 2.6 is broken in 1.00-pre7 thru 1.00-pre10 and
> > possibly earlier.
> >
> > I have been unable to get busybox modprobe to work on 2.6
> >
> > I went to the non-busybox (full blown) version of modprobe and it
> > works fine, no other changes.  So I think modprobe is either broken or
> > needs to be configured in a specific way that I have yet to discover
> > and is not sufficiently documented.
>
> I suspect that busybox modprobe doesn't pass the full module path to
> insmod. If you issued "modprobe foo", for instance, standard modprobe
> would parse modules.dep and call "insmod /lib/modules/2.6.5/bar/foo.ko"
> or something like that. I think that busybox modprobe simply calls
> "insmod foo".
>
> Regards,
> Patrick

It'd be fairly easy to make a a shell script to do modprobe if insmod works.
Something along the lines of:

insmod $(find /lib/modules/$(uname -r) -name "$1.ko")

But with error checking.

Doing this in busybox shouldn't be brain surgery either.  Bug me if I forget
to take a look when I get back in touch with the net (I.E. when this actually
posts to the mailing list from my laptop's outbox...)