[BusyBox] question about the pre-built root fs for arm

Scott O'Connor soconnor at sanblaze.com
Wed Mar 31 22:28:25 UTC 2004

Hello,

I somewhat new at embedded Linux, but I have a 2.6 kernel up and running
on an XScale board.  If I use a complete "kitchen sink" rootfs, I can
boot the XScale board to the login prompt.

I'm now trying to make the rootfs as small as possible.  My first attempt
is to try to use the pre-built root_fs_arm file system (from uclibc.org).
What I noticed is when 'init' starts, the system either hangs, or is running
fine but I don't see anymore output:

	. [ lots boot stuff deleted ]
	.
	.
VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem).
Freeing init memory: 248K

That's it.  I'm guessing the system is running fine and maybe I need to
change some configuration files to complete the boot to the login prompt.

When I use my busybox rootfs, which is smaller than the pre-built rootfs,
I get the same behaviour.

That's basically my question.  Has anyone else see this before on a
IQ80321 XScale board, and can you provide me any help.

Thanks,
Scott O'Connor
SANBlaze