[BusyBox] invalid "-I" option for dpkg-deb

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 20 12:08:22 UTC 2004

  the "-I" option for "dpkg-deb" doesn't seem to be recognized.  on my
red hat FC1 system, i created a .deb file, and downloaded it to my PPC
embedded system which has BB 1.00-pre8.

  and then, the following on the PPC system:

# dpkg-deb -I <.deb file>
dpkg-deb: invalid option -- I
BusyBox v1.00-pre8 (2004.03.19-20:21+0000) multi-call binary

Usage: dpkg-deb [-cefItxX] FILE [argument]

  both the usage message above and the online docs at busybox.net
claim to support the "-I" option (which is, in fact, supported by my
native FC1 build of dpkg), but if you look at the actual BB source file,
.../archival/dpkg_deb.c, there's the excerpt:

   bb_opt_complementaly = "c~efXx:e~cfXx:f~ceXx:X~cefx:x~cefX";
   opt = bb_getopt_ulflags(argc, argv, "cefXx");

which certainly doesn't seem to acknowledge "-I" as a possible option.
have i misread something?  (note that it also doesn't appear to accept
the "-t" option, which is also listed in the online docs.)

rday

p.s.  it's also a little confusing that the command is named "dpkg-deb",
while the online docs refer to "dpkg_deb" and that source file itself is
named "dpkg_deb.c".