[BusyBox] vi substitution is broken

Tony J. White tjw at webteam.net
Tue Mar 16 16:00:14 UTC 2004

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 01:13:14PM +1100, Paul Whittaker wrote:
> Package: busybox
> Version: 1.00pre8
>
> Attempts to do a global search and replace in the vi applet (with all
> suboptions turned on, including CONFIG_FEATURE_VI_COLON and
> CONFIG_FEATURE_VI_SEARCH) do nothing.  No output, just no action performed.
>
> To reproduce, edit an arbitrary text file and try ":1,$s/^/foo/".

Actually, the search and replace does work, it's just that you can't use
regular expression matching (.e.g. ^).

Example: ":1,$s/blah/foo/"  would work to replace all occurances of "blah"
with "foo".

There is some support for regex in vi.c, but there's currently no way to
turn it on without editing vi.c.  When I do turn it on by defining
REGEX_SEARCH, it doesn't compile for me.

-Tony