[BusyBox] Login broken?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Jul 31 22:37:15 UTC 2004

On Monday 26 July 2004 01:39, Erik Andersen wrote:
> On Sun Jul 25, 2004 at 02:27:50PM -0300, Alexander Franca wrote:
> > 01 - the init binary of busybox seems not work. So, I copy my init and
> > finaly I can init my bootdisk.
>
> No idea.  We would need additional information before anyone
> will be able to help you.
>
> > 02 - The real problem!!!  The login binary seems not work in busybox. I
> > try in bootdisk and in my system. But I can't login into any account.
> > Login just do nothing, like I'm puting wrong password or username. But
> > the login binary in my system is ok. And If I try login binary of busybox
> > runing in my system (not in bootdisk), the error is the same, or better,
> > no error, no message, just login prompt again and again...
>
> perhaps you forgot to make /bin/busybox setuid root,

If login is run by init, which is running as root and runs login as root, why
would he need the suid bit on login?  (Isn't the whole point of login to
switch from root to some other user?)

I missed a curve...

>  -Erik

www.linucon.org: Linux Expo and Science Fiction Convention
October 8-10, 2004 in Austin Texas.  (I'm the con chair.)