[BusyBox] Trouble with busybox-1.00-rc2 (Follow up: It was vfork's fault)

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Jul 31 21:30:52 UTC 2004

On Friday 30 July 2004 05:04, Νατσάκης Κωνσταντίνος wrote:

>  So thats why init (pid=1) was going to the D state i guess..
>
>  Why did busybox developers chose to use vfork in this case?

Legacy of ucLinux, which runs on mmu-less systems.  It's a hardcoded hack to
support a specific distro that goes in toasters with 2 megs of ram, and
there's probably a more graceful way to handle it.

This was one of my to-do items in the init rewrite I was halfway through when
-rc1 came out.  That rewrite has gone on a back burner until after the
release, because it's a new feature and I'm swamped getting Linucon
launched...

www.linucon.org: Linux Expo and Science Fiction Convention
October 8-10, 2004 in Austin Texas.  (I'm the con chair.)