[BusyBox] problem loading dependencies with modprobe in rc1

William Barsse wbarsse at pfn.com
Thu Jul 22 14:19:04 UTC 2004

replying to myself ....

the previous patch is severely broken (sorry folks ...), here's another
which fixes two other issues (plus the previous as well) with a 2.4 kernel :

- should be able to modprobe an already loaded module and get 0 return
code :
# modprobe <something> && modprobe <something> && echo "ok" || echo "failed"
failed

- can't unload modules with modprobe -r :
# modprobe -r vfat
modprobe: failed to remove module vfat

Well, hope this helps and that I didn't screw up again,
- William

William Barsse wrote:

 > Hi all,
 >
 > I've been having trouble with modprobe from rc1 when loading a module
with dependencies :

 > # modprobe vfat
 > Using /lib/modules/2.4.22-debug/kernel/fs/vfat/vfat.o
 > insmod: unresolved symbol ....
 >
 > There seems to be a slight problem with the "mod_strcmp" function in
modprobe.c, it scans for the first occurence of the module name in the
"mod_path" variable and expects it to be the last path element. ie