[BusyBox] How to use serial port that has a running getty?

Steven Scholz steven.scholz at imc-berlin.de
Wed Jul 14 15:55:18 UTC 2004

Peter Heitzer wrote:

> Is there a possibility to use the serial port that already is used by
> getty? The reason for this is as follows:
> I am running a small busybox based system that has a modem attached to
> one of its serial ports and a getty to process dialin access to the
> machine. Another program is intended to dial a special telephone number
> if an alarm condition exists. But if getty is running the serial device
> is locked and therfore no access to the modem is possible even if getty
> is idle waiting for a call.

That's what mgetty is for!

We have

# Start mgetty daemon
::respawn:/sbin/mgetty modem

in our inittab and use ppp dial in, ppp dial out, fax out etc.

Your "Another program" has to create a /var/lock/LCK..modem file while
accessing the modem, and delete it afterwards.

Just have a look at mgetty doc!

Good luck,

Steven