[BusyBox] Init and respawn messed up console

Manousaridis Angelos amanous at inaccessnetworks.com
Tue Jul 13 20:27:45 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I see there is an ongoing discussion about init these days, I would like
to add a comment/problem.

I noticed in my system that every now and then the console was messed up
during command line editing and command mode in vi. The problem was
traced to a process that was starting from init (using respawn) and was
given wrong command line arguments. This caused a respawn every few
seconds which in turn caused problems to the console.

I believe that init is being under rewrite at this moment, but I found
in the pre10 version a function (set_term) that caused a tcsetatttr() at
the console every time a command was run. This function call obviously
destroys the state the serial console is in.

Now, it is obvious that in a console one should not expect a very stable
terminal because both the kernel and other processes have open file
descriptor to it. But I am wondering if this behavior I mentioned above
is to be considered normal. Does this behavior occur in the full
implementation of init?

--
amanous